[Wylug-discuss] Raspberry Pi

Tim Fletcher tim at night-shade.org.uk
Thu Jun 7 15:49:28 UTC 2012

On 06/06/12 11:04, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On 4 June 2012 15:08, Jim Jackson<jj at franjam.org.uk>  wrote:
>> RaspberryPi ARM board - Anyone been playing with one?
> I haven't un-boxed mine yet, but I was planning to use one as an xbmc
> media server and another as a temporary classroom web server for my
> training courses.

I've had ARM, Debian and Fedora running on mine, XBMC does work but is
much less snappy than a real computer.

The Pi is limited by the amount of RAM is has (256MB none expandable)
and the USB bus that is shared by the 2 usb ports as well as the network
card.

> I'm a little worried by reports of USB and SD card sluggishness, but
> I'm not in any hurry to get going, so I'm happy to wait for a few
> rounds of bug fixing in the various distros.

The board is picky about SD cards, there seems to be some kernel code
changes that are being made to improve the stability of the SD card
interface.