[Wylug-discuss] EdgeRouters, DNSMasq an LinuxJournal

Graham Whaley graham.whaley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:36:56 UTC 2015

I was about to say you can, I believe, run Debian on the EdgeMax, but
then found an article saying that the distro that comes on it is
Debian based and you can add packages:
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-CLI-Basics-Knowledge/EdgeMAX-Add-other-Debian-packages-to-EdgeOS/ta-p/413071
And it looks like dnsmasq has a Debian package - it might be an option?
Or, for the brave, you can run gentoo on the EdgeMax and roll your own
thing and I believe there is an OpenWRT port as well.

But, it will not surprise me if the super fast accelerated networking
is from some proprietary code driving the hardware accelerators, so
you may not get the whizz bang million packets a second thing without
the stock distro installed.

Andy, if you were going to try out installing your own stuff etc. then
if you take the case off (after asking David maybe ;-) then you will
find a USB stick plugged in the board that holds the distro. You can
yank/copy/replace etc. which is handy - but be warned, the board is a
bit picky about which sticks it is stable with, and I'm not sure if
the patches have made it upstream to improve that yet etc. If you do
need some more details then I can put you in touch with some folks who
should know (who are in Leeds!).

I might have to contemplate a machine to run dnsmasq on now if I run
into DNS/DHCP woes again :-)

 Graham