[Wylug-discuss] New to Leeds Need to find a LUG

Will Newton will.newton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:00:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Graham Whaley <graham.whaley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I too am in North Leeds (Meanwood) - if anybody fancies trying to get
> together for a meet then I'm game. We could start off discussing my
> theory of why the activity of LUGs seems to be inversely proportional
> to the success of Linux... :-) We could try North Leeds, or town for a
> venue?

My theory is that Linux has become so successful that the user groups
have splintered into lots of smaller groups. e.g. there's fairly
lively Javascript, Python, Ruby, PHP, DevOps, Hackspace etc. groups
going which predominantly use Linux and would 10 years ago not have
been possible. Its hard to run a group that is of general interest to
Linux people because they are doing such different things these days.

Also the first generation of Linux people got old and started to have
families and other commitments. ;-)

Yorkshire Digital are putting some effort into publicizing the various
events around the area:

http://www.yorkshiredigital.com/

> Afraid to say I rarely made it to the wylug in the past, but the odds
> are better now (circumstance change). The chances of me getting to
> Sheffield or Bradford are slim.

I have lurked on here for many years but been to WYLUG once and
ShefLUG once over the years so I can't claim to be any better!