[Wylug-help] DBI fails now my home directory's gone :(

Willswills@vwsws1.vws.co.uk Willswills at vwsws1.vws.co.uk
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:42:09 +0100 (BST)

> >   Following physical relocation of our lab machines and reallocation
> >of IP addresses, I can't get my home directory from the server any
> >more (`mount -at nfs` => "server: Permission denied"). Subsequently
> >I'm trying to run a Perl/DBI script directly on the server, where
> >the DBI bit doesn't work unmodified.
>
> Is the permission denied because the exporting server checks
> the IP number?

  I have yet to observe anything appearing in the system logs on
the NFS server... guessing this is where I need to be looking?? Is
there something I should be recommending to our confused-sounding
sysadmin so I can acquire the appropriate diagnostics? Or am I
barking up the wrong tree not probing further on the client machine
for what it recorded?

> >   Desktop machine: SuSE6.4eval(2.2.16-SMP on intel).
> >   Server `uname -a`: "SunOS vwssun2 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc
> >SUNW,Ultra-1"; `showrev -p` suggests "No patches are installed".
> >

> >   When on the local host, the Perl-to-mySQL script fails to connect
> >with the 'dsn' left as-was. I get the same effect ("Access denied")
> >from the command line with:
> >         mysql --host=`hostname` --user=vspadmin -p
> >         mysql --host=`hostname`.`domainname` --user=vspadmin -p
> >
> >   This works if:
> >         I use "--host=vwssun2[.vws.co.uk]" from any other machine
> >         I remove the "--host=..." argument.
> >         I remove the 'hostname=' part of the dsn in the script.

  It helps the scripts to have acess records for localhost, vwssun2
and % - presumably because without a --host option you get a unix
socket to the local machine and otherwise you get a network socket,
or something like that, limited knowledge notwithstanding. Can't see
why it should have to distinguish between the latter two cases... but
it work, me happy.

	Wills.