[Wylug-help] Recommended Java book for a beginner

MartinRowemartin@jamaro.org.uk MartinRowemartin at jamaro.org.uk
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 18:27:24 +0100

Hi all

I'm just finishing a Java training course at work[1] and I'm wanting to
get something to work from at home so I don't forget everything straight
away[2]. Following good words about Wrox books, I had a look at Beginning
Java 2 JDK 1.3 version[3]. It's a fairly weighty tome at 1232 pages, but
looks very good. I generally buy O'Reilly if I don't have anything else
to go on - would people recommend any of their books over the Wrox
offering?

Regards, Martin

[1] From ATS - geared towards integration with the AS/400 using the
AS/400 Toolbox for Java.
[2] I'm actually doing the course as an evaluation - we might be going
down the WebSphere route for future development, maybe merging our PC
and AS/400 development teams. I won't get to do any actual work with it
for some while though.
[3] The cheapest seems to be from Computer Manuals @
31.57 inc p&p. Used www.books.co.uk to do a price comparison.
--