[Wylug-help] jdbc

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:19:59 +0000

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 08:33:57AM +0000, Phil Driscoll wrote:

> Hi
>
> Do we have anyone on the list who has successfully played with jdbc?
> At the Leeds school where I help out, we have an all Linux server environment,
> and a mixture of Windows and Linux desktops all running OpenOffice.org.
>
> In order to provide database functionality for OOo I need to connect the
> clients via jdbc to the MySQL server which we already have. I've downloaded
> and installed the MySQL jdbc driver, but have failed to understand from the
> documentation how the jdbc world hangs together. I've googled for howtos and
> so on, without any real enlightenment.

It looks like there are 2 drivers available; from the MySQL manual:

  There are 2 supported JDBC drivers for MySQL (the mm driver and the
  Reisin JDBC driver). You can find a copy of the mm driver at
  http://mmmysql.sourceforge.net/ or
  http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/Contrib/
  and the Reisin driver at
  http://www.caucho.com/projects/jdbc-mysql/index.xtp
  For documentation consult any JDBC documentation and the driver's own
  documentation for MySQL-specific features.

> Can anyone point me at (or give me) a good explanation of what I need to do at
> the server end to get jdbc going?

My experience with database drivers is that you don't have to do much
more than install it as per instructions and then fire some SQL queries
at the database embedded into the language of your choice. My problem
is that I don't know how OpenOffice handles things....

I would have thought that the driver documentation would at least show
you an example query in Java with which you could test your
installation.

If nobody on this list has used this particular combination then I'd
recommend that you try on the MySQL mailing list - there's bound to be
somebody on there who can help you.

BTW, your clock is wrong!

--

 Frank