[Wylug-help] Satellite Receiver Test (Off Topic)

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Wed Dec 31 08:16:12 GMT 2003

--
On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 06:00, Philip Wyett wrote:
> --
> On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 19:54, Dave Fisher wrote:
> > The only tenuous link to Linux is that I want to use a Linux box as a
> > PVR/VDR to record Italian and Spanish TV. Unfortunately, I've just wired
> > up my statellite receiver after a couple of months of non-use and found
> > myself unable to receive any signal at all.
> >
> > I've tested all the kit and all fingers are currently pointing at the
> > receiver, but receiver configuration (hardware or software) is just as
> > likely as hardware failure, and there is an outside possibility that my
> > tests on the other kit have failed to pick up something.  I think I had
> > a similar problem a couple of years ago, stumbled on a solution and
> > promptly forgot all about it {sigh}.
> >
> > Before forking out for an expensive new box or expensive professional
> > help, I thought I might ask if someone on the list had a fully working
> > satellite setup that I could test the receiver on for a few minutes? I
> > don't think that a Sky digibox system would be appropriate, but someone
> > on the list might know better.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Hi,
>
> What is the receiver manufacturer and model?
>
> General info:
>
> After a period of non use, getting 'no sat signal' is quite common and
> with some receivers, the box being stuck in standby or working but
> getting no picture is quite common also. Have you checked you are
> getting lock on the tuner(s), took down the boxes current settings, then
> reset it (especially LNB settings) and updated the boxes software i.e.
> give it an off air download?
>
> Forcing an off air download is done by unplugging the power cord,
> pressing and holding in the 'backup' button, plugging in the power cord
> again and wait until all the LED's come on and software update screen
> appears. This process can take up to 10 minutes (as the update screen
> will tell ya :-)) and is complete when the box closes itself down again
> and the update screen disappears.
>
> If the issue persists, you could open the box up and give it a visual
> inspection i.e. look for damage, foreign matter or residue on ic's or
> other components.
>
> Beyond this it would need looking at by a pro (and by pro I don't mean a
> TV or satellite shop as they don't know jack), because it's far easier
> to diagnose and fix problem(s) with the thing in front of you than by
> email.
>
> Regards
>
> Philip Wyett
>
> --
>
> Email: philip at wyett.net
> Website: http://www.wyett.net
> Public key: http://www.wyett.net/gpg/public_key.txt

As an alternate to alternate to expensive, external receivers and
getting back onto a Linux can do anything topic. :) You could always
turn a Linux PC into a receiver/pvr/player at not great cost. A few
links folks may find of interest:

http://www.linuxdvb.tv/
http://www.linuxstb.org/news.shtml
http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/index.htm