[Wylug-help] Satellite Receiver Test (Off Topic)

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Wed Dec 31 06:00:34 GMT 2003

--
On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 19:54, Dave Fisher wrote:
> The only tenuous link to Linux is that I want to use a Linux box as a
> PVR/VDR to record Italian and Spanish TV. Unfortunately, I've just wired
> up my statellite receiver after a couple of months of non-use and found
> myself unable to receive any signal at all.
>
> I've tested all the kit and all fingers are currently pointing at the
> receiver, but receiver configuration (hardware or software) is just as
> likely as hardware failure, and there is an outside possibility that my
> tests on the other kit have failed to pick up something.  I think I had
> a similar problem a couple of years ago, stumbled on a solution and
> promptly forgot all about it {sigh}.
>
> Before forking out for an expensive new box or expensive professional
> help, I thought I might ask if someone on the list had a fully working
> satellite setup that I could test the receiver on for a few minutes? I
> don't think that a Sky digibox system would be appropriate, but someone
> on the list might know better.
>
> Dave

Hi,

What is the receiver manufacturer and model?

General info:

After a period of non use, getting 'no sat signal' is quite common and
with some receivers, the box being stuck in standby or working but
getting no picture is quite common also. Have you checked you are
getting lock on the tuner(s), took down the boxes current settings, then
reset it (especially LNB settings) and updated the boxes software i.e.
give it an off air download?

Forcing an off air download is done by unplugging the power cord,
pressing and holding in the 'backup' button, plugging in the power cord
again and wait until all the LED's come on and software update screen
appears. This process can take up to 10 minutes (as the update screen
will tell ya :-)) and is complete when the box closes itself down again
and the update screen disappears.

If the issue persists, you could open the box up and give it a visual
inspection i.e. look for damage, foreign matter or residue on ic's or
other components.

Beyond this it would need looking at by a pro (and by pro I don't mean a
TV or satellite shop as they don't know jack), because it's far easier
to diagnose and fix problem(s) with the thing in front of you than by
email.

Regards

Philip Wyett

Email: philip at wyett.net