[Wylug-help] ADSL & CCL

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:19:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Scorer, Paul             [IES] wrote:

> 	I too have heard good things about pipex.
>
> 	microfilters:	I suggest that you do *not* have more than one phone
> downstream of a microfilter. I know of someone who has blown up the
> microfilter like this (It's the solution that everyone wants, so ....)

We don't have microfilters here, as we have an engineer assisted
install, and so have the electornics of the microfilter in the master BT
box.

I've not heard anything about >1 phone per filter causing problems, but
I have heard about dodgy microfilters (dabs used to sell them) that
didn't work properly at all...

> 	An old 486 might make a good adsl interface / firewall / router /
> ... (if you can stand the noise of the fan)

486s do not need fans!  But, if you get an adsl router you shouldn't
need a 486 too (unless you are one of the security mad people).

Steve