[Wylug-help] ADSL & CCL

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:39:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Steve King wrote:

> > 	An old 486 might make a good adsl interface / firewall / router /
> > ... (if you can stand the noise of the fan)
>
> 486s do not need fans!  But, if you get an adsl router you shouldn't
> need a 486 too (unless you are one of the security mad people).

Mmmm... tries to remember. My main machine till about 4 years ago was a
486DX4/100 and I think it had to have a fan, not a heatsink. Not sure
about the maker of the chip. And of course there is the fan on the PSU.
Some of these old chips were pushing the envelope of design at the time,
and need hods of Watts to do the simplest mipage. My current AMDK6/333
state-of-the-art powered desktop (:-) uses obscene amounts of power for
what you get out of it. The replacement new fanless NG mini-itx mobo,
quiet disk, and fanless PSU is the next project - I've even got permission
from management :-)