[Wylug-help] OO.o impress puzzle

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 10 10:56:22 GMT 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Andii Bowsher wrote:

> Furthermore: under WM I can't seem to get the sda1 'file' read [where I keep
> the presentation on a compact flash card], yet under KDE it turns up and
> displays through Konquerer and I can access it. If I use KDE to locate the
> presentation file and move it to my home directory I can then access it
> under WM and go on to display it correctly as a presentation. Naturally I'd
> rather not keep dodging between KDE and WM -so can anyone think of a
> reason/s why this state of affairs should happen so that I could resolve it
> one way or another?

I'm hoping I can help you with this one, although the precise mechanism is
likely to be different.  I'm sure this is a pam question.  With kde, pam magic
gets involved.  On redhat it's something like this (although I suspect
/etc/logindevperms might feature with kde.

With kde, PAM will play with /etc/pam.d/kde.  One of the lines in that file
will be:

session    optional     pam_console.so

That in turn uses /etc/security/console.perms with a load of lines like:

<console>  0660 <floppy>     0660 root.floppy

which means that a user logged in on a console (a console is defined in the
same file) will get ownership of the floppy, with permissions 0660, and it'll
revert back to being 0660 owned by root:floppy when the user logs out.

I hope that defines the reason, which is better than a kick in the eye, but I
don't have the solution I'm afraid.

jh

--
"The only difference between the bitchy whining children in open source
 development and the bitchy whining children in closed source development is