[Wylug-help] Small server distro

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 09:42:31 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 18:22, RichardA wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:20:55 +0100, Dave Brotherstone <davegb at pobox.com>
> wrote:
> > This is not a plea to start a flame war :)
> > I like gentoo, but i won't have time to install it (although a stage 3
> > install is a possibility, for gentoo fans).   Redhat seems to leave a
> > 1gb footprint these days, but perhaps someone knows a RH based distro
> > or something that fits the bill.
> >
> > Firewall based distros are basically out, because I need more
> > flexibility in terms of development tools.

> Redhat needs 1GB?!

Nowhere near.  The tailored distribution I use here is 150MB as an iso -
that has quite a lot of stuff above the base (and a complete copy of the
installer, which is not light, but is not installed), although it has no
development tools.   The biggest component by far is the glibc set (I
think glibc-common is the fat one), the next biggest is the kernel -
take those 2 and you have much more than 50% of the minimal system in
size terms.

	Nigel.