[Wylug-help] OT: New Phone Recommendations

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 08:52:42 BST 2003

Morning all...

I'm about to upgrade my mobile again, and I'm not sure what's out there.
Has anybody got any suggestions or what's good or what to avoid?

I'd like to be able to get my email on the move so an IMAP email client
would be nice, IMAP/SSL would be a bonus.

On my old phone, which was stolen, I could get my laptop on the 'net
with Bluetooth/GPRS. This would be a little less important with a decent
email client. I could live without Bluetooth if there's a serial cable
available.

Some synchronisation with Linux would be nice. I hate having disparate
sets of contact info spread across different devices.

I don't own a PDA, and don't intend to. Too much bulk to carry around.

Any suggestions? I was considering a Siemens S55 but I've heard it has
usability issues and tacky, plasticy buttons that don't work. The Nokia
6310i has no email client, but BT+GPRS. The Motorola T720 appears to
have an email client, but I had a Motorola before and it was awful to
use and I don't know if it supports IMAP.

TIA

James

PS: I'm on Orange, but wouldn't be averse to a change.