[Wylug-help] VOIP anybody?

simon simon at mungewell.org
Wed Apr 7 13:10:41 BST 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:05:00AM +0100, mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk wrote:
> I've trawled the web and found lots of conflicting stuff so I'd appreciate hearing
> from anyone in Wylug who has experience of using VoIP for actually doing things.
> In particular, I'd love to be able to use VoIP between the two offices that we have
> rather than using landlines. I know there are handsets available, but in view of
> the conflicting information I'm finding on the web, someone with real life experience
> would be much preferable.

Hi Mike,
Pace brought a company a few years ago that did VoIP exchanges and thus
we used VoIP between sites. A few problems in the start, until they got
some QOS implemented - it's very noticable when you lose packet or they
arrive too late!

Hardware is descibed here:
http://www.vegastream.com

Of course there is always the oppotunity to save cost on the hardware by
implementing with PC/Software gatekeeper and use desktops as the phone.

Gnomemeeting looks very nice, however it feck's up my laptop's sound
settings so I haven't proved it yet.
Simon.