[Wylug-help] VOIP anybody?

steve sgsubs at intechnology.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 14:24:43 BST 2004

We use Cisco to 2651s for gateways and I have tested a whole bunch of hard
phones. I see the Grandstream is mentioned in this thread, I have tested
this and calls are ok but transfers fail to some devices.
Cisco 7905 with a SIP image works great with all the devices I have tested
so far and is quite cheap compared to the 7940.

Zultys do a cheapie £50 ish phone called the ZIP2, this works well with all
the devices I have tested.

I'm also in the process of testing a Vegastream VOIP gw which would be ideal
for your toll bypass solution for office to office calls if you have an
existing PBX system at each site, these are a lot cheaper than the Cisco
gateways and so far look very good.

We use the SIP protocol and the proxy/registrar we use is the open source
Sip Express Route (SER) from IPTel www.iptel.org/ser SER is used as the
basis for a few commercial SIP proxy offerings and is very flexible and to
date reliable.

So to answer your question with a Linux box, some free software and a few
£50 ip phones you would be able to place calls office to office and transfer
from one IP phone to another.

If you want to intergrate with an existing PBX system or place calls to or
from the PSTN to your IP phones you will need a gateway between the VOIP and
PSTN networks.

You may need to think about QoS if the links between your offices are small
and or congested.

Hope this helps, hope you get this as I don't subscribe so the message may
get snagged/delayed by the moderator.