[Wylug-help] Best 802.11g card/chipset under Linux?

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 14:04:13 BST 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am sorry to have to ask this question, but Google is just returning
> too much noise.
>
> Anyone know which chipset/s do 802.11g well under Linux?
>
> Anyone know which cards definitely contain these chipset/s?
>
> Anyone have direct personal experience of getting them running?
>
> Anyone have direct personal experience of a good value/cheap card that
> does 802.11g well?
>
> If I actually get some answers, this might be the sort of info that
> would be usefuil to have on the WYLUG website.

The Dlink DWL-G650 pcmcia card works under linux using the cvs madwifi
drivers in mandrake 9.2  There are different revisions of the card, I
finally got B3 working after playing, and I hear that B2 works too.

I believe the pci dlink 802.11g card works too using this driver, I will
try and contact my mate who uses mandrake and it on his desktop machine.

As for the WAP, well I have a netgear wireless router (only use it as a
switch/WAP), and after some comparisons with the dlink equivalent at
work I can tell you that the dlink has a much better signal (can get
about twice the distance in identical conditions using the netgear)

I hope that's some help.

Steve