[Wylug-help] Best 802.11g card/chipset under Linux?

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Thu Apr 8 14:47:12 BST 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Dave Fisher wrote:

> I am sorry to have to ask this question, but Google is just returning
> too much noise.
>
> Anyone know which chipset/s do 802.11g well under Linux?

Anything Atheros based in my opinion, using the madwifi driver.

> Anyone know which cards definitely contain these chipset/s?

The 33.25 quid Ebuyer PCI card -
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=52628

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=47674
I think is also Atheros based, and is slightly cheaper.

These things also do Master mode, so you can use them as an AP.

Avoid anything Broadcom based - which unfortunalely also means the
cheapest PCI card Ebuyer do.

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz
is about the most definitive list of cards/chipsets there is.

Else, there's http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ and
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/