Fwd: Re: [Wylug-help] kit to dispose of

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Mon Aug 2 20:48:48 BST 2004

Apologies, I meant to post this to the group at first.

----- Forwarded message from cmackins at bradford.ac.uk -----
    Date: Mon,  2 Aug 2004 20:47:01 +0100
    From: cmackins at bradford.ac.uk
 Subject: Re: [Wylug-help] kit to dispose of
      To: Mike <mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net>

Mike

if your kit can't find a claimant, please don't 'skip-it'.  Environmentally this
is bad practice - the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment)
directive is now in force, which aims to prevent such materials from being sent
to landfill.

I've included an attachment for a community based local project that I work for
on a part time basis, which reclaims unwanted PCs for reuse/recycling -
refurbished computers are re distributed to community groups and sold cheap to
those on low income etc.  Speak to/email Jean (mention my name!)  It may/may
not require a donation, but this has got to be better than disposing in an
environmentally detrimental way.  I think that Linux has lots to offer in this
way - as oppsoed to M$ which requires shelling out for new software/hardware.
Linux can be good for the environment I think.

Though new myself to Linux, without a great deal of experience,  I am always
trying to plug it at the workplace - so far with only little success, but a
little is better than none.

Also, check out this web address which might be of interest:

http://www.rei.org.uk/

this is an issue that I'm interested in looking at further - what  does the W
Yorks Linux community think?

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk

----- End forwarded message -----

and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk