[Wylug-help] internet connection sharing question

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Sat Aug 14 08:46:55 BST 2004

Can anyone out there answer me a question about internet connection sharing -
I'm sure there must be a tecchie or two out there.

I've just installed 3 home PCs with Mandrake Linux 9.2.
I have purchased a Netgear DG834 modem/router/firewall.

Now, with the router, it suggests that I need to connect everything to the
router/computers before connecting; then, through a web browser I am apparently
able to configure my connection before being able to access the internet.  I
thought this would be almost an instanaeus effort, but I'm having a few
problems, which i'm sure i can sort out.

My question though, everything appears to be working just fine - the lights on
the mdem show an adsl connection and the appropriate connection to computers;
ethernet cards are lit up; and between them they are blinking away like a
christmas tree.  Though I haven't established a connection that allows me to
'view' web pages, clearly there is activity.  Until I am able to get a web page
on line - could there be a security vulnerabilty - because I've not configured
the connection, I'm unable to view/access the in built firewall.

chris.

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk