[Wylug-help] Problems recognising CDRW

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Sun Aug 22 12:25:58 BST 2004

> > Home network running 3 pcs -nothing flash, very basic.  Mandrake installion
> > chewed up my 3 LG CDR's. So,
> >
> Don't throw them away withoug checking with LG's website.  There is a fix for
> this that will resurrect them, I understand.

Yes, I've tried rescuing them, but it looks like they are beyond recovery!

> > In box 1, i replaced it with an old CDR and it works fine.
> >
> > Box 2 - installed a new Philps CDRW (PCRW5232) which works fine.
> >
> > Box 3 - again, a new Philips PCRW5232 - I get a desk-top icon recognising
> > the CDRW, but it will not read *any* discs. I have swapped it and installed
> > it into box 2 and then it works OK.  I have tried the old CDR from box 1 in
> > box 3 and that works - so the cable is OK.  Also, even with BIOS set to
> > boot from CD, it instead boots from the hard drive.  I have tried to
> > reinstall/update Mandake, and have tried a live cd (knoppix) - but
> > absolutely no activity occurs in box 3 CDRW.
> >
> Can't help with that one, except to say that if you can't boot from it, it
> sounds like a bios problem, not a Mandrake one.  What mobo does that box
> have?  I'll see if I can dredge up anything that could help.  It's also worth
> checking the mobo manufacturers website to see if there is a bios upgrade.

The mobo is an Intel SE440BX-2 and as I've foudn out, is no loger supported by
Intel.  I think I'll probably have to opt for an independent BIOS flash
upgrade.

One more issue I am having immediate problems with.  After installing MDK 9.2, I
have tried to update on 2 boxes and I am having exactly the same issue.

My priority was to install security updates.  However, there was lots of updates
and so I decided to download all of them.  On reboot, all my desk top icons had
been lost and replaced with a blue folder; this was also true of all my
programmes from the menu - whats more, most of the programmes had also
disappeared too. Any ideas?
This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk