[Wylug-help] Analogue camcorder users out there?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 11:53:02 GMT 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 11:40, you wrote:

> ov511 is the module for the gizmo, it would not even know what was
> at the other end of it apart from a "video source" (composite,
> s-video etc.).

As I suspected.

> > If I need a different driver, how can I find what will work?
> > Googling on the camera model has not come up with anything
> > useful.  Would it be related to the Radeon instead?  Any hints
> > greatly appreciated
>
> Ah, I guess that it's a Radeon VIVO, you need a driver for the
> input of the video card.  I use an ATI card and it is a bit hellish
> getting the sound and video in sync unless the VIVO has it's own
> dsp device - it's all to do with the chip clock on the video card
> and the chip clock on the audio card.

OK - option 1.

> If the gizmo has audio and
> video in, unless the quality is poor then you are likely to get
> better results than from a video card that happens to do video-in.

I wasn't impressed with what I saw before, but I'll have another look
at this.  Option 2.

> The other option is to get a specific capture card, Hauppauge are a
> good reputable brand and tend to use the common bt848 driver.

Martin Rowe told me that he has had good results with the Pinnacle
Studio DC10+, as well, so a new card is Option 3.

I'll explore further.  Thanks for your input

Registered Linux User No.293302