[Wylug-help] Switching Mice

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jul 9 18:01:18 BST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Dave Whiteley wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a couple of laptops available to me.  I also have a usb mouse
> available.  When travelling with the laptop I use the horrid mousepad
> (Toshiba) , or the pipple (IBM).  But when static, I prefer to use a
> usb conventional mouse.
>
> Is there any way that I can ask a running X session to switch between
> available mice?  (I know I can edit the config and restart my X, but I
> am too lazy for that - and I sometimes do not want to have to restart
> a running process.

If you're using USB and an internal one then it's easy, since you can specify
the internal one to be the core pointer, and the USB one to be another
pointer.

Something like:

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

         Identifier  "DevInputMice"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "Default Layout"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

jh

--
"A fanatic is a person who can't change his mind and won't change the
  subject."                                           -- Winston Churchill