[Wylug-help] WikiWikiWebs and unstructure workflow

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Mon Jun 28 14:36:03 BST 2004

Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Currently I've had a look at MoinMoin (no calendar functions I can see),
> and Twiki (Feels rougher edged and potentially more user hostile, but
> good functionality), although neither of those at the level of
> installing it and trying things out.
>
> I'd be interested in any comments on this, and ideas on what would work.

I use MoinMoin (http://moin.sourceforge.net/) mainly because it's
written in Python as opposed to PHP, which is used for many other Wikis.
I just have an aversion to badly coded PHP and its associated security
problems. Badly coded Python is easier to fix ;-)

I'm not saying that there aren't well-coded PHP Wikis out there (Twiki
is meant to be good) and I'd be very happy to hear about others using
them. I've just stuck with MoinMoin because it's been in development for
quite a while and is still ticking along.

For a calendar function have you considered shared calendaring using
WebDAV? You could publish a calendar to a WebDAV server and also render
it in to HTML using something like PHP iCalendar
(http://phpicalendar.sourceforge.net/nuke/). In this way, people could
subscribe to your published calendar using whatever calendaring
application or simply view the web page that is automatically rendered
from the calendar share.
--
rik