[Wylug-help] Server hardware testing suites

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 16:36:19 GMT 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Felix Ulrich-Oltean wrote:

> Our hosting provider has now supplied us with 2 new boxes which we are
> looking to migrate to.  Before we do, we'd like to run some tests on
> them that might throw up any issues.
>
> The boxes have dual AMDs with scsi disks and run RedHat Enterprise.
>
> Can you folks recommend any suitable testing/diagnostics suites?

memtest86 left on for a day or two is pretty good for eeking out some
memory problems, and some processor problems too.

I'd make sure that smartctl said good things about your disks, although I've
found SCSI disks are often fairly limited in what they report.  If they
support it, there's some extended testing that you can do with that, and it'll
report on the history of the drive.

jh

--
"Une belle fille et un demi de Kronenbourg est la cle de tous les secrets de
  l'univers, la solution a toutes nos souffrances, le remede a la condition