[Wylug-help] Re: cygwin and virtual desktops

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 11:15:56 GMT 2004

Not quite an answer to your question, but it may provide a useful solution
nevertheless:

I'm in the middle of moving house, and so far have just moved my office.
Sadly, my main desktop machine provides LTSP facilities for the family at the
old house, so has had to stay at there, however I also need to use it to do
my work. My ADSL connections are too slow to run X over the wire, so I've
installed the free version of NoMachine's NX software at either end. The
windows NX client seems to be able to handle multiple concurrent X sessions,
and I can confirm that the performance is pretty spectacular compared with
uncompressed X traffic over ADSL - on a par with running LTSP on a LAN.

I installed the Linux FreeNX stuff from the SuSE 9.2 distribution, and the
downloaded the Windows client from NoMachine's website at
http://www.nomachine.com/

Hope that helps.
--
Phil Driscoll