[Wylug-help] ADSL Recommendations?

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Wed Oct 20 18:56:54 BST 2004

On 20 Oct 2004, at 16:55, James Holden wrote:
> No download caps.
> Prefer 1MB service.
> Not interested in email/webspace/whatever added services.

> Not too bothered about Linux support per se because I have a spare ADSL
> router which I intend to use. There will be Linux boxes behind it
> though.
>
> Contention ratio not too important, 1:50 is fine.
>
> Browsing speed is an important factor, but I mostly throw big chunks of
> data around via BitTorrent, HTTP or Rsync.
>
> Static IP essential. More than 1 IP would be a bonus.
>
> Did I mention cheap? ;-)

I'm currently with Central Point (http://www.cpbb.co.uk or
http://www.central-point.co.uk). They will do a datastream service of
1Mb/s for a good rate. I'm not on their datastream service because of
my location (village), so they provisioned me with an IPStream service
that is being resold from Tiscali. Yes, Tiscali doesn't get great
writeups, but the service has been OK so far, especially for the price.
Latency is quite high because the BT Central connection I'm on is quite
loaded. Again, I'm not that fussed about latency but the throughput is
good in both directions. There is no filtering on P2P or other traffic.

If you can get a datastream service from Central Point, I've heard good
things from several people. There are no frills and the price is good.

You may also want to consider Bytemark (http://www.bytemark.co.uk), who
have just started reselling Bulldog DSL with no frills. They are
technically clueful and based in York. They also do a good line in User
Mode Linux servers.
--
Rik Wade