[Wylug-help] dvd/cdrecord grief (IDE vs IDE-SCSI?)

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 11:56:29 BST 2005

Hi All,

I'm getting weird behaviour out of a CD/DVD writer at work.  It seems
happy to recognise and write CDs, but not DVDs.

The image I'm trying to burn seems fine, the DVD media are fine (tested in my
home machine), the sg, ide_cd, and ide-scsi modules are loaded/loadable and the
device looks mostly fine.

The only obvious clues I'm getting are the ones telling me that:

  1.  The disk can't be written, i.e. "cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Drive found on this target"
  2.  "Device seems to be: Generic CCS Disk"

The first, is obviously not true.  I don't know what the second means, and
google doesn't help.

The only thing I can think of at the momement is that cdrecord's stupid
insistence on using scsi emulation conflicts with the rest of the system somehow.

The problem is that I don't know how to fix that.  As far as I am aware, ide or
ide-scsi are mutually exclusive alternatives in terms of controlling the device
and straight ide is preferred for almost every purpose apart from running the
cdrecord package, i.e. I believe that opting for ide-scsi is not recommended by
anyone but Jurg Schilling these days).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

P.S. I was especially irritated by these messages:

 cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
 cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.

=============
Some attempts
=============

davef at hostname:~$ sudo dvdrecord -scanbus
dvdrtools v0.1.5
Portions (c) 2002-2003 Ark Linux <bero at arklinux.org>
dvdrtools patched by Julien Delange for Debian
Note that you have to reports bug to the debian maintainer
Please ask Debian for support, and not ask the original author
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
this program; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i386-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J\uffffrg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'ATA     ' 'Maxtor 6Y160M0  ' 'YAR5' Disk
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'ATA     ' 'Maxtor 6B160M0  ' 'BANC' Disk
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *
davef at hostname:~$ sudo cdrecord dev=0,0,0 image1.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J\uffffrg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.9MB-SMP-test
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Disk
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'ATA     '
Identifikation : 'Maxtor 6Y160M0  '
Revision       : 'YAR5'
Device seems to be: Generic CCS Disk.
cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Drive found on this target.
davef at hostname:~$ sudo cdrecord dev=1,0,0 image1.iso
[...]

scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.