[Wylug-help] dvd/cdrecord grief (IDE vs IDE-SCSI?)

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Apr 18 14:27:38 BST 2005

[blurb from cdrecord truncated]
Dave Fisher wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm getting weird behaviour out of a CD/DVD writer at work.  It seems
>happy to recognise and write CDs, but not DVDs.

>The only obvious clues I'm getting are the ones telling me that:
>
>  1.  The disk can't be written, i.e. "cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Drive found on this target"
>  2.  "Device seems to be: Generic CCS Disk"
>
>The first, is obviously not true.  I don't know what the second means, and
>google doesn't help.

>davef at hostname:~$ sudo dvdrecord -scanbus

>scsibus0:
>        0,0,0     0) 'ATA     ' 'Maxtor 6Y160M0  ' 'YAR5' Disk
>        0,1,0     1) *
>scsibus1:
>        1,0,0   100) 'ATA     ' 'Maxtor 6B160M0  ' 'BANC' Disk
>        1,1,0   101) *
>davef at hostname:~$ sudo cdrecord dev=0,0,0 image1.iso

>Device seems to be: Generic CCS Disk.
>cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Drive found on this target.

Well... it's finding what appears to be two hard disks, so the "no
CD/DVD drive found on this target" message seems to be correct.

Are you loading the IDE-SCSI module for the right IDE device? Are the
two Maxtor disks serial ATA?

I get this sort of output:

james at amd64:~ $ dvdrecord -scanbus
dvdrtools v0.1.6
Portions (c) 2002-2003 Ark Linux <bero at arklinux.org>
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
Software
Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
this program; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Using libscg version 'bero-0.5a'
dvdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (bero-0.5a
'@(#)scsitransp.c     1.81 01/04/20 Copyright 1988,1995,2000 J. Schilling').
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'ATA     ' 'Maxtor 6Y160M0  ' 'YAR5' Disk
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) '_NEC    ' 'DVD_RW ND-2510A ' '2.15' Removable CD-ROM
        2,1,0   201) *
        2,2,0   202) *
        2,3,0   203) *
        2,4,0   204) *
        2,5,0   205) *
        2,6,0   206) *
        2,7,0   207) *
scsibus3:
        3,0,0   300) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PREMIUM  ' '1.02' Removable CD-ROM
        3,1,0   301) *
        3,2,0   302) *
        3,3,0   303) *
        3,4,0   304) *
        3,5,0   305) *
        3,6,0   306) *
        3,7,0   307) *
scsibus4:
        4,0,0   400) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-52327S      ' 'QS57' Removable CD-ROM
        4,1,0   401) *
        4,2,0   402) *
        4,3,0   403) *
        4,4,0   404) *
        4,5,0   405) *
        4,6,0   406) *
        4,7,0   407) *

(The Maxtor disk is a serial ATA device)

I also have the following on my kernel parameters:

hdc=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi hdg=ide-scsi

James