[Wylug-help] dvd/cdrecord grief (IDE vs IDE-SCSI?)

Geoff Richards qef at ungwe.org
Mon Apr 18 14:59:24 BST 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:47:41AM +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm getting weird behaviour out of a CD/DVD writer at work.  It seems
> happy to recognise and write CDs, but not DVDs.

I don't know why this isn't working, but have you tried growisofs?
I think the actual burning software is different, so it might work
where Schilling's stuff didn't.  Something like this:

   sudo growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=image1.iso

or, if you want to burn some files but don't have an ISO image yet:

   sudo growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -J -r list-of-files-and-directories

Note that you need a silly little wrapper script to make it work
with 'sudo', but that GBdirect server has it set up already.  Here's
my version, which I call /usr/local/bin/growisofs:

--------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
unset SUDO_COMMAND
export MKISOFS=/usr/bin/mkisofs
exec /usr/bin/growisofs "$@"

You can run it without being root or using sudo, if the DVD device
has the right permissions, but I think it's meant to be more reliable
or something as root.

--

--- Geoff Richards -------------><-------------- http://ungwe.org/ ---
"I tried to fling my shadow at the moon,