[Wylug-help] dvd/cdrecord grief (IDE vs IDE-SCSI?)

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 16:31:46 BST 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 02:46:42PM +0100, Geoff Richards wrote:
> I don't know why this isn't working, but have you tried growisofs?

Yep:

davef at hostname:~$ growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom=image1.iso
:-( /dev/cdrom: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0

> Note that you need a silly little wrapper script to make it work
> with 'sudo', but that GBdirect server has it set up already.

 ... actually, it wasn't on the server with a DVD writer, but thanks for the
reminder.  As you can see above, growisofs does seem to recognise the drive
properly, but not the media in it.

Following Andrew Beresford's advice I re-tried dvdrecord using the ide device
name.  It also recognises the device now, but still not the media.  See read
out below.

I suspect the refusal of both apps to recognise the media may actually be a red
herring, since I get exactly the same results with every medium I've tried
(CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW), including RWs that were originally witten by the
same drive on the same machine.

I've yet to travel the cdrdao route, but will try it if no one recognises the
current symptoms.

Best wishes,

Dave

Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i386-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J\uffffrg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'SAMSUNG '
Identifikation : 'CDRW/DVD SM-352F'
Revision       : 'T903'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
resid: 118
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
dvdrecord: Success. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: F0 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x01 (medium not present - tray closed) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
dvdrecord: No disk / Wrong disk!