[Wylug-help] Mail server problem

Darran Rimron darran at xalior.com
Sun Feb 27 13:34:44 GMT 2005

Anne Wilson wrote:

> If, for instance, you say 'have you checked
> xyz?' you may have to tell me how to check it.  I don't think the
> distro/version is significant, though, so any thoughts/ideas/suggestions
> would be greatly welcome.

Examine your (x)inetd.conf setup. You may have some sort of tcpwrappers
enabled.  Look in /etc/*inet* - and, if it exists, /etc/*inetd.d for
files named for each individual services.  Look for lines like "allow
from" or "deny from" or anything with IP addresses in it. These files
should be both pretty minimal and self-explanitory.

One "gotcha" that always used to get me in the beginning is that xinetd
can (did?) use "disabled=true" - which always struck me as
backwards/counter-intuative.

Something to be aware of is that localhost (127.0.0.1) and your real
address eth0(192.168.*) are different inferfaces so your application may
not be listening on both.  This is where playing with nmap can be fun.

-cheers, D