[Wylug-help] Strange Xorg - Ubuntu Breezy [Mode Clock]

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 10:45:24 BST 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 05:25:43PM +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
> What's the actual error that's stopping X from starting?

I couldn't spot the specific error in my Xorg log, so I tried starting X
directly which (among other things) sent this to my screen:

 Fatal server error:
 could not open default font 'fixed';
 the X server's font paths might be misconfigured, remote font server(s)
 may be unreachable, and/or local fonts may not be installed or are not
 configured correctly.

It looks like the effect of yet another broken package.  Font files seem to
have been moved.  The font paths in xorg.conf are wrong, but even if they were
correct, there would still be problems because the newly located fonts are not
fully configured.

They are supposed to be managed by defoma  (debian font config), but it can't
do its job properly, because the tool called mkfontdir is missing (along with
lots of other tools that are supposed to be in the xutils package).

Hey ho.

Dave