[WYLUG-help] still trying to get this machine to copy cds/dvds

Mike mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Fri Mar 4 15:54:24 GMT 2005

Doh! Silly me. Now I've written a CD, so many, many thanks - I can open
and use this one.

So I tried to write a DVD. same as before:

cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Error trying to open /dev/cdrom exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'LITE-ON '
Identifikation : 'DVDRW SOHW-1213S'
Revision       : 'TS08'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord: Found DVD media: using cdr_mdvd.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.

Any ideas? Also, will I have to use the mkisofs command (make iso file
system?) ewvery time I burn a CD? Will I always have to be root and use
the command line? How about music, presentations and so forth?

Many thanks for the help to date. I'm starting to feel as though
progress is being made. Please keep 'em coming!

Best,

Mike