[Wylug-help] Laptop display problem in presentation

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 6 17:54:50 GMT 2005

On Sunday 06 Nov 2005 15:22, Smylers wrote:
> Anne Wilson writes:
> > When my laptop was attached to the projector the display was
> > unusable,
>
> I'm guessing that you don't have a projector to test with, but
> presumably the same thing happens with an external monitor?

No, it doesn't.  I've tried adding a CRT monitor through the video-out
connector and the output is quite acceptable considering that it's an
ancient monitor.

> > Any ideas/suggestions would be very helpful.
>
> This isn't directly related since my laptop has different graphics
> hardware, but it may be that something similar applies to yours.
> If I use the Fn+F8 keystroke to switch to the external display, it
> gets all messed up (and further, the internal display continues to be
> messed up after switching back, until X is restarted).

I never really explored the function keys, but Fn+F6 switches the LCD
screen off while continuing to display the external one.  It switches
back OK, too.

> To use an external display I instead run this program, which
> magically makes everything work:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/i855crt

It looks as though that is a very specific solution, though, for a
"i855GM based laptop".  The problem is that having ascertained that it
is OK with an external monitor I don't see what else I can do.  I'd
hate to get there next meeting and find the same problem again.  My 5
minutes next time is something that would be difficult to do without
it.

Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org