[Wylug-help] Video out

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 12:35:04 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 Nov 2005 09:22, Phil Driscoll wrote:

> The projector resolution is likely to be either 800x600 or 1024x768.
> Last night, it looked like you had the screen resolution set to one
> of these, but your desktop size was still the normal full size for
> your big Acer laptop screen, hence all the scrolling around when you
> moved the pointer near the edge of the screen.

The big problem with the Acer is that it does not report things
correctly - temperature sensors don't work, it says I have no battery
installed even when I'm working on battery, and so on.  It says that I
have only one resolution, 1280xwhatever - it's not on at the moment, so
I can't check.  I'm going to boot into Windows and see what resolutions
that offer me, then attempt to set up modelines to match.

> As well as the resolution issue, you will also need to make sure that
> the refresh rate is not too high, as this might also upset the
> projector. 70Hz should do.

Does that mean setting up a screen2 in xorg.conf, set to CRT 1024x768?
I'm looking into setting up a profile to manage that.

> There's probably a Mandriva gui tool of some kind to help you
> configure this without having to resort to editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> - can anyone point Anne in the right direction?

Yes, for most people XFDrake would do just that, but with this crappy
hardware it will just have to be text editing.

Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org