[Wylug-help] Linux Distro on Bootable USB Stick

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 11:13:23 BST 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:38:43AM +0100, Jason Lander wrote:
> I'm not sure about identifying the kernel and initrd to be loaded -
> although that should be on the bootable media anyway.
>
> One possibility would be to label the USB root filesystem using e2label
> and pass the label at the bootprompt. I think the syntax is
>
>   root=LABEL=USB-ROOTFS   (or whatever you've used)
>
> The kernel should be able to search all the available ext2/3 filesystems
> until it finds one with that label.

Thanks Jason,

I'd temporally forgotten about labels, but that is the obvious solution
to the root filesystem problem.

In terms of finding the kernel and initrd on the bootable media, are you
suggesting that I merely boot the Knoppix CD kernel and pass the USB
root filesystem to it?

That seems like a reasonable option, but not as flexible as being able
to use my own kernel/initrd.

Dave