[Wylug-help] Linux Distro on Bootable USB Stick

Jason Lander jason at env.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 11:31:31 BST 2005

Dave,

> In terms of finding the kernel and initrd on the bootable media, are you
> suggesting that I merely boot the Knoppix CD kernel and pass the USB
> root filesystem to it?
>
> That seems like a reasonable option, but not as flexible as being able
> to use my own kernel/initrd.

(Caveat: I haven't tested any of this)

I believe GRUB and co work by directly calling the BIOS and can only load
the kernel/initrd from devices that are known to the BIOS.

BIOS wizardry can make a USB key appear as a boot device.

A bootable CD - with GRUB on the master boot record - and a copy of
your kernel and initrd should allow you to start on systems which can't
boot off a USB device.

If you want something more flexible, there are clever systems - notably
getting one linux kernel to load another: aka the Two Kernel Monte.

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/monte/

I have absolutely no idea how well this works.

You could also use LOADLIN and FreeDOS.

- Jason