[WYLUG-Help]

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 13:14:54 BST 2005

On Friday 09 Sep 2005 11:53, Mike Goodman wrote:
> That gives a pop-up which tells me audio device detected as Vendor,
> Creative; Model: Labs SB Audigy LS; Module: snd-ca0106 and when I click
> the "play test sound" button I hear nothing. Here's the terminal
> input/response:
>
> [mike at count ~]$ system-config-soundcard
> amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0
>
> amixer: Unable to find simple control 'PCM',0
>
> amixer: Unable to find simple control 'PCM-2',0
>
> amixer: Unable to find simple control 'DRC Range',0
>
> Playing WAVE '/usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav' :
> Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
>
> Does that explain anything? Are there any files I should reprint here
> which may help you to help me?

When I was having problems with alsa and audigy I found it useful to run
(from CLI) 'alsamixer'.  There it's easy to see whether anything is muted.
Navigation is by arrow-keys.  I probably have archived conversations with
the alsa-user list, if anything there may help you, or I'll check the
settings for my entries against yours if it helps.