[WYLUG-Help]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 9 16:26:44 BST 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Mike Goodman wrote:

> Had a play with the controls as suggested by John Hodrien. Managed to
> get all the bars in the green range, and all with something in them -
> the small one now contains 00. Still silence (pun?).

Don't worry about the green.  As long as all the sliders are up, and none of
them are muted, that's all there is there.  Take a look at the switches page
too, as on my laptop I need to enable 'using an external amplifier' or it
swallows all of my audio.  I seem to remember some similar tricks with the
sblive.

> Can't make much sense of anything from the link, Anne. Just tried lspci -v
> and part of its output is:
>
> 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS
>        Subsystem: Creative Labs SB0410 SBLive! 24-bit
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
>        I/O ports at ec00 [size=32]
>        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

That looks good.

> but I failed on the small award because I can't see anything which says
> CA0106.

That wasn't the challenge I was referring to.  Finding out how an SBLive
24bit and an SB Audigy LS are related was the challenge.

>In fact, I went one further and got a bigger fail as root:
>
> # modprobe snd-card-ca0106
> FATAL: Module snd_card_ca0106 not found.

It should be called snd-ca0106 and should already be loaded.

lsmod | grep ca0

That should show it's loaded.

> Now, there seems to me to be something of a contradiction with something
> I said earlier . . .
>
> Should I be installing something? I simply stuck the sound card into the
> slot and when the commands which I found on the web seemed to show the
> thing to be there, just assumed that was it. What does "Module" refer
> to, and where should it be?

If you've got volume controls then *something* is loaded.  Disabling the
onboard sound in the BIOS (assuming we're trying to get the PCI card working)
can be a good idea to avoid confusion at this stage.

jh

--
"Ten thousand women marched through the streets of London saying 'We will not
  be dictated to!' then went off to become stenographers."