[Wylug-help] Rescue with knoppix

Towle, William william.towle at eldon.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 14:44:59 GMT 2006

> mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/sde1
> mount:  /dev/sde1 is not a valid block device

> Can anyone suggest what is going wrong?

  I'm guessing that it was given the 'sde' designation because there are
(or
were) other removable devices connected beforehand. If you've rebooted
since,
did you connect the removable devices in the same order - ie. are you
absolutely sure it's *still* 'sde'? Maybe you rebooted with the stick
connected, and this fact changed things (ie. kernel versus hotplug
auto-detection has made a difference to the designation).
  In my case, SuSE 8 used to assign my pen drives /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc
based on connection order - but the first one inserted has always been
/dev/sda under Knoppix 3.3 (which is either failing to detect my zip
drive,
looking for it second, or [maybe?] prefers it to have media in before
giving
it a device name).

  In addition to `fdisk -l`, you can also use `file -s` on devices. This
will tell you if a drive is bootable, and what filesystems are on the
partitions.

HTH,
  Wills.