[Wylug-help] Rescue with knoppix

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 16:02:30 GMT 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Towle, William wrote:

>  In my case, SuSE 8 used to assign my pen drives /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc based
>  on connection order - but the first one inserted has always been /dev/sda
>  under Knoppix 3.3 (which is either failing to detect my zip drive, looking
>  for it second, or [maybe?] prefers it to have media in before giving it a
>  device name).

I thought knoppix (using 4.0.2 here) placed a shortcut on your desktop for
devices that it found?

Life becomes so much easier when hotplug springs to life and simply presents
you with /media/$FILESYSTEM_LABEL.

I don't have to care what else I've plugged in, it'll always appear as
/media/usb-jh.

jh

--
"Woman was God's second mistake."                    -- Nietzsche