[Wylug-help] ssh

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Jan 18 11:02:42 GMT 2006

simon writes:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:24:30PM +0000, Stephen Garton wrote:
>
> > My second (and major) issue is the work box.  It is behind a
> > corporate firewall, and accesses the internet through a proxy server
> > on port 8080.
>
> I have the same problem that outgoing ports are limited (they block 22
> :-), however they don't block 21 so I have added 'port 21' to my
> /etc/ssh/sshd.conf to get sshd listening on this port as well....

That's a good point.  If you aren't running a web server on your home PC
then you could make the SSH server run on port 80 or 443, which your
work will definitely let you get to.

However if your only access to the internet is through the web proxy,
then that isn't good enough: you can't get to those ports (or 21 or
whatever) directly, so you have to persuade SSH to talk to the web proxy
and send SSH requests through that (making the web proxy think that it's
just trying to talk to a web server at t'other end).

On Linux I have used Corkscrew to do this:

  http://www.agroman.net/corkscrew/

There may be an equivalent utility available for Windows.  Or Corkscrew
says it works with Cygwin, so perhaps you could install that at work
(and use it instead of Putty).

Good luck!

Smylers