[WYLUG-help] Server distro - which one?

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 23 09:29:56 GMT 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Mike Goodman wrote:

> I'm a bit tired of FC4 installing its somewhat lacking versions of
> packages I wish to use.

Like what out of interest?  My complaint with Fedora for a server is definitely the short
support cycle, rather than anything else.

> The only one I can get any sense out of, probably because I've used it
> before, is RH9. It seems a bit daft to start out today with relatively
> modern kit and plenty of power with such an old distro.
>
> Can anyone suggest a more modern (at least kernel 2.4) distro which I
> will be able to set up for the above with a minimum of fuss?

I'd download a copy of Centos.  It's just a rebuild of Redhat EL4, so should
fit in well with your desire for a shinier RH9.  LVM nicely integrated with
the installer, although they don't finish the job properly until FC5.

jh

--
"Une belle fille et un demi de Kronenbourg est la cle de tous les secrets de
  l'univers, la solution a toutes nos souffrances, le remede a la condition