[WYLUG-help] Server distro - which one?

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 24 17:24:13 GMT 2006

> > I'm a bit tired of FC4 installing its somewhat lacking versions of
> > packages I wish to use.
>
> Like what out of interest?  My complaint with Fedora for a server is
> definitely the short
> support cycle, rather than anything else.

I was thinking more of desktop apps, such as Inkscape and Scribus,
having only a limited range of add-ons available, throwing permissions
out of sync when updating, that kind of thing. I'd rather get the server
up and running without having to worry what will happen if I decide to
update or find a nice juicy server app I'd like to try.

and

> > Can anyone suggest a more modern (at least kernel 2.4) distro which
> > will be able to set up for the above with a minimum of fuss?
>
> I'd download a copy of Centos.  It's just a rebuild of Redhat EL4, so
> should
> fit in well with your desire for a shinier RH9.  LVM nicely integrated
> with
> the installer, although they don't finish the job properly until FC5.

I'm willing to learn, so it doesn't have to be from the RH family
gathering. My comment was more about my ability (or lack thereof) to
find my way around the installation and configuration of what I need.
For a workstation, though, FC5 sounds as though it may be worth looking
forward to. Having tried Centos on another workstation, I am still not
sure it has the range of up to date packages I want to use or to try
out. My main workstation is still FC4 so the apps, whilst lacking in
some respects, are at least reasonably up to date at this moment.

Many thanks for your contribution.

Best,

Mike
--
"Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
when it is bad, it is better than nothing."