[WYLUG-help] Server distro - which one?

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Jan 23 10:39:05 GMT 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 06:10:30PM +0000, Mike Goodman wrote:
> Hello, everyone. Hopefully I can ask this question without starting a
> flame war? ;-)
>
> The aim is a NFS server with database server (working), web server
> (testing sites only), print server (working).
>
> For the web server side, I want apache 1.3+ or 2.0+, I really don't mind
> which; MySQL4.1; PHP5.
>
> I've just had a go at setting up a LAMP server on Debian Sarge. I'm
> getting inane results such as "you may wish to run apt-get update to
> correct these problems" when I run apt-get update. That's after trying
> to install sarge on 2 hdds (40GB and 80GB) and it's only installed on
> the 40GB.

For LAMP stuff on Sarge you might want to look at the DotDeb packages.
www.dotdeb.org.

> I'm a bit tired of FC4 installing its somewhat lacking versions of
> packages I wish to use.
>
> The only one I can get any sense out of, probably because I've used it
> before, is RH9. It seems a bit daft to start out today with relatively
> modern kit and plenty of power with such an old distro.

I tend to think of Fedora as a more desktop orientated distro these
days, like Mandrake. Don't use RH9 - there may be bugs and security
vulnerabilities that have since been patched. RH9 was EOL'd a long time
ago.

> Can anyone suggest a more modern (at least kernel 2.4) distro which I
> will be able to set up for the above with a minimum of fuss?

Debian Sarge, with the dotdeb packages.

Do a basic install, then add the following lines to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://packages.dotdeb.org stable all
deb-src http://packages.dotdeb.org stable all

Then apt-get install apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5 php5-cli php5-mysql

James