[WYLUG-help] Missing Hard Drive or Name Resolution? [Was: Server distro - which one?]

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 22:44:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:49:39PM +0000, Mike Goodman wrote:
> I don't mind learning, as I've stated elsewhere, however I really have
> no desire for a three year course and a huge desire to have something I
> can work with now. Is getting the thing to work within my existing
> network going to be a relatively easy matter (it hasn't been by
> referring to "Linux Administration handbook" by Nemeth et al) or should
> I dump it until I have time to do another degree course?

Mike,

I doesn't sound like your problems are going to need any great learning
process, but it is difficult to be sure or to offer good advice, if you
don't address each problem distinctly and in turn.

I currently have several sub-threads in my mail box all headed 'Server
distro - which one?', but from what I can see, most of them are only
indirectly related to distro choice.

How about separating out the following immediate issues into separate
(i.e. new) threads?

  1. Your missing hard drive problem

  2. Your domain name problem

Members can then respond to each issue on its own merits, using their
own knowledge of that issue.

Once we've fixed those immediate issues, it might be possible to break
down the 'big' issue of 'which distro?', into specifics about each of
the services you want to run, before bringing them together in an
overall evaluation.

Dave