[WYLUG-help] "lost" hdd

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 02:17:26 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 08:42:12PM +0000, Mike Goodman wrote:
> Seems the extracts from my dmesg output have got lost somewhere
> en-route, so here is the full output in all its glory:

<big snip>

And the /etc/fstab ?

I may have missed something in all the thread tangling, but could the
'problem' simply be that you haven't configured your fstab to mount the
disk at boot time?

Some distro install scripts just do this for you if you let them
automatically sort out the partitioning.

Others expect you to define mount points yourself, especially if you opt
to customise partitioning.

I can't see a previous mention of you actually trying to mount the drive
'manually' with the mount command, e.g.

$ mount /dev/hdb* /mnt/hdb*

Please don't think I'm taking the micky.

I'm just trying to eliminate all the simple/obvious potential
explanations before getting into any of the esoterica.

Dave