[WYLUG-help] "lost" hdd

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Sat Jan 28 13:26:17 GMT 2006

I have now added two lines for hda into fstab, so it now reads:

> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hdb1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/hdb5       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

I still get the same result when running, e.g. mount /dev/hda* /mnt/hda* and /etc/mtab contains:

> /dev/hdb1 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
> usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0

Is this getting us anywhere, or are there other courses of action I should be pursuing? Is it the failure of the mount and ls commands to produce any meaningful results which has resulted in the sudden silence?

The output from the mount command tells me ". . . . a device can be given by name, say /dev/hda1 . . . ." so revisit that:

mount /dev/hda1 tells me it's doing something starting with kjounald starting.
ls /dev/hda1 returns /dev/hda1.
mount /mnt/hda1 returns mount: can't find /mnt/hda1 in fstab or mtab.
mount /dev/hda5 returns mount: mount point does not exist.

Similar returns are obtained from hdb1 (except that mount returns me to the command prompt) and hdb5.

Mike
--
"Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
when it is bad, it is better than nothing."