[WYLUG-HELP]

simon simon at mungewell.org
Mon Jul 17 17:31:50 BST 2006

Hi Mike and Wylug in general,

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 05:00:21PM +0100, Mike Goodman wrote:
> Hi, Folks,
>
> Anyone know anything about Ekiga (used to be called gnomemeeting)?

a little... :-)

> Today, I switched everything back on. I either get a "Could not open
> channel for audio reception" error and a (silent) connection holds or a
> disconnection at the moment of connection.

Q. Have you tried a test call to 500 at ekiga.net?

Q Are you really sure that the audio works. There is a test widget in
the 'druid'. Which can be revisited under the Edit (or tools) menu.

The most likely cause is something like 'esd' running, see Damiens post
on the mailing list.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomemeeting-list/2006-April/msg00035.html

> I suspect this has something to do with the NAT/STUN settings but the
> "Detect NAT type" button on page 5 of the druid has thrown in the towel
> (doesn't work) and I can neither remember nor find anywhere the name of
> the STUN server to see if that fixes it with ekiga.net.

Any STUN server will do, it's just a way to tell ekiga about your public
facing IP. Not sure what happens if your going through more that one
NAT.

You can use:
stun.ekiga.net

There's a list of other stun servers on:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-STUN

Depending on the type of firewall, you may find that stun will not work
for you. You may need to port forward the RTP ports to your local
machine (these are normally UDP ports 5060-5062).

More information at:
http://www.ekiga.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0&faqpage=x161.html

> It must also be possible to do all this from the command line. Can
> anyone point me to where I can find out how, if I can't get help to fix
> it using the gui?

all the configs are help in gconf. Normally I would suggests
gconf-editor but this is GUI. Don't know of command line equivilant (I
suppose you could just vim/emacs/nano it...).

> If I can get ekiga.net working, I could then go on to see if the package
> will allow separate STUN settings for different VoIP servers.

Only allows one setting, which is a pain when the STUN server dies....

> BTW, I only want VoIP. I have no interest in the video or IM settings,
> at least not for the moment.

'It's good to talk' ;-)

> Is that sufficient information for anyone to comment? Please let me know
> what else I can tell you, if not.

You can get a more information by running with the debug flag.

ekiga --debug=4 2>&1 > debug.txt

If/when you get it going you can give me a shout on mungewell<the at symbol>ekiga.net,
but please note I'm now on UTC-6 (Canada) so you'd have to stay up
really late.

[This is open to any of the 'old crew' who want to get in touch, but any
drunken renditions of the lady in red will be recorded for later
blackmail attempts...]

Have fun,
Simon.