[WYLUG-HELP]

simon simon at mungewell.org
Mon Jul 17 20:19:17 BST 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 07:00:33PM +0100, Mike Goodman wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 18:33 +0100, Yiannis Gatsoulis wrote:
> > Dont know much but I think that it works with any STUN server. For
> > example in my machine I am using the ekiga stun server and I have more
> > than one accounts all working fine...
>
> OK. Let me explain. I am trying to use the services of a provider whose
> servers handle all NAT issues at their servers. I do not want a STUN
> server getting in the way for that reason. Ekiga appears extremely
> unhappy with that, to the point of not working when I tell it the way I
> want it to handle NAT is "None".

Hi Mike,
I think that you are getting confussed as to the purpose of STUN and how
RTP streams pass through the network. The SIP/RTP stream do not touch the
STUN server.

A STUN server is just an advanced form of 'www.whatsmyip.org'. It is
used by Ekiga to determine the public IP on which to tell the other
client to connect to.

RTP are usually (unless the FBI/CIA want's to listen in) made directly
between clients. So if you were to call me ekiga.net would handle
placing the calling information but would then say to the clients 'send
RTP to this/these IPs.

The problem with NAT is that this is seen as a connection coming from a
previously unconnected point and the NAT server doesn't know where to
route it.

STUN attempts to frig the system a little and trick the NAT into opening
up an inbound route to your local IP.

If you can't get it to work through your NAT system then you will
probably have to use a proxy server (located outside your NAT).

As a side note AIX doesn't have this problem as the control and stream
all travell on the same port.

Cheers,
Simon.